Thursday, March 25, 2010

Who's the Betterest?

My Mimi, I had her trained when she was younger to announce that I was 29 years old. She would also answer a prompt of, "Tell them why we call you Mimi." Then she would say on cue, "'Cause it's me-me-me-me-me!" One day, she just quit saying it.

She was about three years old and she came up to me while eating a snack. I asked, "Where did you get that?"

"From the pantry," she answered in her cute little voice that sounded like she'd been sucking on helium.

"Did you ask if you could have that?" I asked.

She looks at her treat and says, "I asked myself and I said I could have some."

Clever answer, but I then ask, "Are you the momma?"

She tilts her head to the side in deep thought and says, "I'm the betterest momma."

Yep. I am in trouble. This is basically her personality in a nutshell. She can be my most loving child and my most hateful child at the same time. She has a competitive streak in her that she was born with. I think she gets that from her dad, because I don't have the energy or the self-esteem to compete with people.

One day when she was in preschool, four years old, I picked up the other little girl in our car pool and they were both dressed up beautifully for picture day. As soon as Bailey sat down in the mini-van Mimi asks, "Who do you think looks the prettiest?"

"I think you both look very pretty," I say, playing safe.

"But who's the prettiest?" she demands.

"You both are very pretty."

"But I'm your daughter, aren't you supposed to think I'm the prettiest?" pressing for her answer. I wouldn't give in. Sometimes I have to say, "It doesn't matter who is the prettiest, both of you are pretty" or "it doesn't matter who wins the game, as long as you had fun." She still asks questions like, "If you had to chose one daughter, who would it be, me or Ali." I then say, "I don't have to make that choice." "You love Ali more," she fishes or, "You think I'm dumb." I guess the good thing is I always know what she is thinking, no beatin' around the bush with her.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, your daughter is a hoot! I love how she gets from "Which daughter do you love more" to "You think I'm dumb." That is brilliant manipulation.

Right now, I'm on argument number three with my daughter and it's only 8:00 AM. Good thing she is heading out the door to school in mere moments. That way I can love her again.

Saimi said...

She makes me laugh and I love her personality. For some sick reason, I seem to enjoy the ones with the spicy attitude. With the preschoolers, I seem to be drawn to those with a little more sass.

Maybe it's because they remind me of me.......maybe

PrincessArchuleta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leenie said...

Trying to say the right thing keeps the brain sharp. This balances out the brain becoming jello while doing what moms gotta do.

Life With Dogs said...

But who is the prettiest?
;)

Kari said...

I'm your besetest friend, right?! She cracks me up! Your answers are perfect!

Fiona said...

I can tell Nina she is my prettiest daughter!!

Just a bed of roses said...

Brave smart moms with daughters you are. One is all I was allowed.
Probably good reason.

Linda said...

Yea you're in trouble. I am the youngest and only girl in my family and I turned out just fine. Not self- centered at all. Not a bit. Okay maybe a little.

mom to Elijah said...

OMG...Elijah asked me the other day if he and Grammy were on the top of a building and were about to fall....who woudl I save...where do they get this stuff?