Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Oh My Heck" Wednedsay!

Do you really think I can keep up "Oh My Heck" Wednesday? I'm sure there are enough things that have need of exclaiming "Oh my heck" but I'm lucky to post every week on a consistent day. Though I'm trying to do better.


Do you know what this is a picture of? It's my next door neighbor mowing his lawn in the middle of February. In Australia, that would be the norm, but this is desert mountain area! There are still patches of snow on the ground! Nothing has grown in four months!

I had my daughter take this picture out of our bathroom window. It's the only window on that side of the house. I really wanted to get a picture of him last week when he was shoveling the snow. Not in his driveway, however, shoveling the snow off of his front yard. I thought if I did a U-turn on my street and stopped in front of his house and snapped a picture with my camera, it might be a little obvious and not very appreciated. So there went that great photo opportunity.

In my neighbor's defense, he does have a very well manicured lawn. In fact the house on the other side of us has a well manicured lawn as well. You know that saying "if there are no rednecks in your neighborhood, it's probably you." That's not really a saying, I think I made it up. Well, we happen to meet yards with the only retired people on the street. And they are both very focused on their lawns.

Then there is us, we, "those" people. A business owner who works overtime, a wife who works full-time to provide health insurance, a teenage son who doesn't do what he's darn well told, a very busy over-achieving teen daughter and a tiny daughter who isn't able to maneuver a lawn mower. We are freakin' lucky to have grass and a fence (to hide all the redneckness) at this point!

There's another saying, "The grass always seems greener on the other side." Well, it's actually true in this case.

I just have to make one addendum. Spellchecker accepted "heck" but rejected "freakin'" and "redneckness." Looks like "heck" is an official word - woo hoo! Now lets all become fans of "Droppin' the 'g' out of the 'ing' in the American language."

10 comments:

Nancy said...

I think I love your cool old neighbor.

And, I could totally ditto all the funny stuff you said about your yard in relation to your neighbors. Sigh.

P.S. My word verification letters say "promath" -- so, if I type it, does that mean I am? I guess I'm not Antimath, but I don't know if I'm totally promath either . . .

Flea said...

Those poor bored retired people. How horrid that the twilight years of their lives are spent focused on their lawns. You go have fun now.

Leenie said...

Oh•my•heck! And LOL. Shoveling the snow off the lawn. That's dedication. Or frustration with the long winter. We have about two feet of icy snow on our quarter acre. If we shoveled it, where would we put it? No--don't go there.

Kari said...

Styx comes to mind..."Too much time on my hands (I don't know what to do with myself) Too much time on my hands ...
Or maybe he was sick of being yelled at by his wife? "Why don't you go do SOMEthing!"
Or maybe he was "bored...bored...bored...bored"
?

DJ said...

I can relate totally with shoveling the snow off but that is just crazy to be mowing!!

ptatjohn said...

I loved living next to Micheal Coons. You know, he put the golf courses to shame. I love looking out my front window at the park like setting...waterfall, flowers, manicured trees. The best part was he was always willing to help out. He was the best neighbor we have ever had. Sooo count your blessings, maybe the perfect yard is the sign of great neighbors:D Dang, I miss Clinton.

Life With Dogs said...

You're on fire! Congrats on scoring a bizarro neighbor. Now how to change that pesky spellcheck issue....

Just a bed of roses said...

Oh...My...Heck...glad you caught that on spy cam as I never would have believed it.

Aren't you glad YOU have a LIFE!

I never want to live for the day I even want to shovel snow off the lawn here in Utah...NEVER. Oh please never let me live that long.

I think I would rather be redneckedness!

What the heck!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Haha ha! That's awesome. I wish we could see our yard, Its still buried under that icky white stuff.

Do you think if I mowed the snow it would go away faster?

See Mom Smile said...

Laugh out loud funny that you took a picture of your neighbor from your bathroom window. I think there are laws against that! We once had nieghbor that swept snow off her driveway every hour. We were the whitetrash family on the block with lots of piles of old dirty snow. Love your blog. Thanks sooooo much for visiting mine.