Monday, January 19, 2009

More Stinkin' Thinkin' and Handy Info

I've been battling my thoughts once again. Notice the lapse in blogging? But with my surgery coming up on Wednesday I'm trying to keep positive. I really wanted to ask the surgeon something, but I was kind of embarrassed to ask him.
So here's the scenario:

I was in about fifth grade and my family was sitting down for dinner. Remember I grew up with only one brother who is four years younger than me. He's the one that forgot I was supposed to be an only child. But I'm totally over it.

So we were eating fried chicken. Gene and I always got the drumsticks. I was innocently gnawing my way through when a very tragic thing happened. This event changed my childhood and life forever. There was no turning back after the vision I had. As I was eating, the knuckle thingy fell off. The white joint bones were exposed and the other part fell onto the plate. It sickened me. Now, the little sharp toothpick kind of thing always freaked me out, but I tried not to think about it. And once in awhile when a vein was left dangling, I turned my head. But when the knuckle fell off, that was the last straw. I was to never eat a drumstick again. There was way too much unnamed anatomy to deal with to remind me I was eating a dead living creature.


So, as I'm left to think about my hand surgery and knuckles and joints and all, I wonder if our joints look like chicken joints - all white and shiny? If you know the answer will you please tell me. That picture from the link to basal thumb arthroplasty kinda makes me think of drumsticks. Only one more day to think about that thank goodness!

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm sorry about the stinkin thinkin, but this post made me laugh and laugh -- the nice touch of the deflated balloon, the trauma of the drumstick, etc.

So, I spent many a day studying cadavars back in my Anatomy days of college . . . if you like the idea that our joints look like a chickens, then I will tell you "Yes, they look pretty much the same," but if that disturbs you, then what I meant to say was, "No, they look nothing like it."

Truthfully, I don't really recall -- though there is plenty other stuff that might disturb the more delicate reader that I could tell you, but I think you should ask your doctor because then he would know you are cooler than his other patients.

Unknown said...

One word: ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Now that I have that out - I've no clue but good luck on Wednesday! When you're done your hand will not be anywhere chicken-like ;o)

JaMean said...

Oh Krista. LOL! I love you more and more every day! I thought I was the only one with drumstick issues. (My issues include ALL meat on bones, though, not just drumsticks.)

What you saw was most likely a ligament or some sort of nasty cartilidge. (My stomach is turning and my gag reflex is working overtime here...)

Check it out here:

http://www.innerbody.com/image_skelbov/ligm20_new_bov.html

Love you Krista! You will do GREAT, and so will the surgeons!

Karen said...

You know that I think you are the funniest woman out there. But the visual you created in this post will be popping into my head everytime it is required of me to be serious for the rest of my life. I was laughing so hard last night, that I was crying.

No more stinkin' thinkin' 'cause tomorrow they make that hand all better!!!

Kara said...

You crack me up!!! I hope everything goes well with your surgery! I can't really give any tips or info, but wish you the best and say that persistance usually pays off. :)

Christina said...

Oops! That comment from Steve was actually from me. I didn't know I was logged in under his name. Sorry ;o)

Good luck today! I know you'll be fine!