Monday, June 23, 2008

Born to be Wild!

I had this conversation with my mother-in-law when I lived in Australia about how people are born with special talents. As soon as my husband would get a new toy car he would take it to bits. He grew up to be a mechanical engineer. His brother Adam loved to get into his dad's tools, which was probably irritating at the time, but he grew up to be a carpenter and builder. The next brother, Craig, always played with tiny, fiddly things and he grew up to an electrician and toolmaker.

I remember when my brother and I were very young he would always touch the oven when it was hot and he would run away bawling. He kept going back and touching it again and again. I don't know if he was expecting different results each time but he grew up to be a welder.

I had a friend as a child named Frankie. He had more Barbies than I did! When he would make his Barbies talk I always thought he had a strange voice for his females! His voice was kind of raspy and whispery at the same time. I'm sure he is a hairdresser somewhere!

Then there's Mimi who digs up her dead hamster to visit her. Don't be surprised in twenty years if you hear of "Mimi's Mortuary." She loves to cook, too........but "Mimi's Cafe" name is taken. People might wonder if the two were next to each other! And don't order "Uncle Joe's ribs" whatever you do!

That brings me to my midlife crisis. Oh what to be since I've grown up. I tried not growing up but it happened. Let's see.......as a child I liked to play......boss other people around......draw......boss others.......write stories.......play "school" and tell others what to do........boss.......put on puppet shows........play some more. I think I was supposed to be a rich housewife! Playing, bossing, writing, drawing and playing some more just doesn't pay. I don't know if I was born to be a specific thing or just born to be wild. How can I decide to do just one thing all day? Boring! I've tried substitute teaching, teaching art, secretarial, sales and a couple of other things. I've liked them all. I was on a school year contract and it ended and now I'm forced to get a life. I'll let you know when I get one.......but until then.........I'm born to be wild!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Ewwwwwwwww. Uncle Joe's Ribs!

Nicole said...

I'm wondering what I should be when I grow up, too. Which is a strange feeling for me because as a youth I was so driven and focused. Now I'm lost and disorganized. And I don't even have the pain killers to blame. :)

Gil said...

I finally figured out what I'd be when I grew up ... OLD! And, even at this stage of life, I'm not sure that I have finished the process of growing up. (If OUT is the same thing as UP then I am a success at last!)

Nicole said...

yes, i think i was also probably born to be a rich housewife. where do i sign up for that anyway? is there like a waiting list i can get on or something?